Name:
Location: India

There is so much to me, and yet i have such a longlong way to go. I am still discovering myself...everyday i will tell u something more about me

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Bed no 619

Seldom is anyone allowed visit the ICU
and 25-yr old Nikhil, though conscious, was in ventilator
unable to speak, not had a drop of water for 45 days
and with 20 tubes all over his body

after my dialysis, I asked the ICU security guard
to forward my comics to Nikhil in Bed no. 619
guard directed me to the ICU counter and
the nurse directed me to Nikhil's bed
seems like I'm destined to meet Nikhil
and miraculously the universe is making it possible

I whispered as I reached his bed, `Nikhil'
two eyes opened and suddenly his face brightened
he smiled so vibrantly, and almost didn't blink
I felt like he could not take his eyes off my face
I showed him my best wishes card which said
'Get well soon and we'll have coffee together'
and he nodded furiously, still grinning ear to ear

I unwrapped the gift wrapping paper and
showed him the comics I'd purchased for him
I spoke to him for a few minutes and
told him I'll meet him again very soon
He was listening to me with rapt attention
and so were the nurses in the ICU ward

when I was just about to leave,
Nikhil tried to reach out to something over his head
it was the gift wrapping paper
he grabbed it and held it close to his heart
a tear slide from his right eye
I kissed him on his right cheek and left

5 Comments:

Anonymous amrit said...

angel anu :)

10:23 PM, November 22, 2006  
Blogger Vibhanshu Abhishek 3.1 said...

wonderful post :)

1:32 AM, November 23, 2006  
Blogger anu said...

I'm no angel amrit.

Thank you abhishek.

8:20 AM, November 23, 2006  
Blogger B.C. said...

I don't know why this poem reminds me of Sylvia Plath's 'Tulips'. I guess I liked that poem a lot as well. :)

4:15 AM, November 25, 2006  
Blogger anu said...

What a wonderful poem is 'Tulips'. I can so relate to Sylvia's feelings. Thanks B.C

1:49 PM, November 25, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home