Name:
Location: India

There is so much to me, and yet i have such a longlong way to go. I am still discovering myself...everyday i will tell u something more about me

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Rukhsar II

Have you ever wanted inspiration to live life? Inspite of the fears, insecurities, scarcity of resources, challenges...life is still beautiful. And if we need proof, all we need is to look around. I looked around myself and found Rukhsar.

This is not my story. This is the story of my beauty parlour girl Rukhsar who does my eyebrows, waxing and head massages.

Part I on this story is in the archives Sunday, November 13, 2005, Inspired by simple ordinary souls. I dont know how to paste the links here sorry.

I went to the parlour yesterday as i had to trim my eyebrows and wax my long slender arms. As i entered, i saw Rukhsar standing there. She saw one glance of me and her face glowed with joy and she took her hands to her face and screamed "Oh god, anu it is you..it is you". I was so happy seeing how happy and absolutely delighted she was to see me. I went over and hugged her. She said someone had wrongly written my name as amu so she was not aware i am coming. She said she is so happy to meet me and we went inside.

Normally i am so scared when they wax my left arm. There is a tiny surgery and the needle scars are so fresh becoz i get pricked twice a week. But i have to wax my arm too becoz if i dont, the tiny strands of hair get stuck to the plasters they stick on my arm when i get dialysed and it hurts badly when they peel the plaster out. But with Rukhsar she knows so i dont have to tell her to be extra-careful of my arm while waxing it.

As she went about her work, i asked her how her life is going. She told me she has managed to buy a few things for her home...cooking gas, a stove, some utensils and finally some food for herself and her 2 yr old son. Then she said that her son had not eaten a roti (a wheat pancake which is eaten with some curry in India) for 8 months. So she purchased some flour, some vegetables, a little ghee, eggs etc on her way back home and one evening sat to prepare rotis for her son. That little boy was so excited, he sat on the floor cross-legged with his plate and glass of water and waited for his mom to serve him piping hot rotis. He had been waiting since such a long time for this moment.

Rukhsar prepared the curry and served it to him. Then she mixed the flour and rolled small balls out of it. Then she spread the balls with a long rod and made round small rotis with it. Finally when she took the roti in her hand to heat it on a flat pan she realised that she forgot to purchase the flat pan. The roti cannot be eaten unless it it heated on a pan and it gets hot and cooked. She and her son burst out laughing. Her son said. "Mom you purchased everything except the pan to cook the roti."

I asked her, why didnt she just go out and buy it. She said "oh anu, i spent all my money in buying other things for house and paying the rent etc and now i had no money left to buy a pan." I was stunned. Then i asked her what did you do with all that food? She said "we could not eat it, so i went down and gave it to the beggars". "Then ?" i asked. She said "then what? i cooked rice and i and my son ate rice". I asked her, "so arnt you going to buy the pan ?" She said "anu i dont have money this month, next month i shall buy the pan, hopefully".

And she laughing, happily went on with her work. There was no pain in her voice or no anger or no resentment or jealousy towards the people who were richer or better-off. She was happy doing what she was doing.

Rukhsar told me she has been working from 9 am in the morning and when i went it was already 7:30 pm. She says this will go on upto 9 pm. I asked her what time she will reach home. She said she will reach home by 10:30 pm. And then she has to cook rice (the only food they have since last few months) and a curry and feed her son and eat too. Then she has to wash the vessels and clean the kitchen and house. Then she has to wash all the clothes. By the time this is all over, it is 2:30 am in the morning when she sleeps. She wakes up at 6 am and again after doing all the house work and leaving her son at the cresh, she rushes to the beauty parlour.

She told me, "anu, now i dont feel anything. when i lie on the bed, i realise how badly my body is aching. I dont have a single minute rest the whole day. But it is fun. At least i have lots and lots of work. I am busy and doing my own thing. What more could i ask for?"

She lives on rent and the landlord when he drinks screams through his balcony asking "who are you sleeping with?" She is busy washing her clothes that time.

Nids and I are going to buy her a pan to make rotis. J has sent me some money which i will be giving it to her.

Do i need more inspiration to go on with my life? Whenever i do, i need to look around at Rukhsar and such others and i know i can find all the inspiration i want ... only if i open my eyes and look around.

Sometimes, we dont need to read about Bill gates or Helen of Troy to motivate ourselves to go on with our life, a simple 26 year old single mom in my beauty parlour who lives alone in Bombay and earns her own money and works happily for 12 hours a day to go back home and put in another 5 hours is more than the inspiration i could ask for...ever!

13 Comments:

Blogger Amrit said...

anu u know sometimes i feel so helpless when u cant help ALL the ppl in need and sort out their problems.. y this world is not a happy place to live in for every soul
i cant even imagine myself if i put up myself in such condition.. ya nothing is more motivational more than some true examples around us..
praying and wishing to almighty if he is listening send happiness to rukhsar and her son they deserve a lot.. make this world more happier to live for them atleast protect frm the morons who dont know how to respect a woman

10:25 AM, January 12, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what an inspiration to read this entry, i needed to hear it, thanks--blue

12:35 PM, January 12, 2006  
Blogger Beth said...

anu, this is an inspiration. what is also beautiful is your loving observance of it and the fact that you were moved enough to help her. thank you for sharing it. i enjoy hearing about your day to day insights.

9:08 PM, January 12, 2006  
Blogger NYC TAXI SHOTS said...

you are so lovely anu

9:38 PM, January 12, 2006  
Blogger poppy said...

Lovely post, babe. And - very inspiring.

May God bless simple souls like Rukhsar and her son and you, of course.

11:07 PM, January 12, 2006  
Blogger Spill The Beans said...

Thanks for inspiring me by posting this.

7:21 PM, January 13, 2006  
Blogger g said...

Such a story, and such an inspiration.

6:55 AM, January 14, 2006  
Blogger anu said...

Amrit - We cannot help all the people in need, but we can send them our love and good wishes. And these are more powerful and precious than anything else. :)

Blue - Hugs and tons of love to you.

Kim - and i enjoy reading your day-to-day insights :) Thanks Kim.

J - :) J, so are you.

Misty - Misty morning dust, thank you for always being there for me baby. I hope all your dreams come true morning dust, and if ever you need anything, i am here always.

Trouble - :)Hugs

G - :)

10:29 AM, January 14, 2006  
Blogger Wendy C. said...

Such an inspiration - I would love to make a friend like this woman one day.

11:50 AM, January 14, 2006  
Blogger anu said...

Wendy, i am glad to be her friend :)

10:56 PM, January 14, 2006  
Blogger anu said...

Wendy, i am glad to be her friend :)

10:56 PM, January 14, 2006  
Blogger WDKY said...

I wish I could give her a pan, or cook a wonderful meal for her and her son. What a great story.

I'm so glad you stopped by, Anu, because reading your blog and following your links is proving to be quite an experience.

11:56 PM, January 14, 2006  
Blogger anu said...

Hello wdky, we are gifting her a pan :)

Thanks wdky, it was great fun to read your stories too...esp about the white suit. If ever we meet you, please come only and only in that white suit ;-)and white shoes too and white ...eh? you got it right? everything inside too white.

11:50 AM, January 15, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home