Name:
Location: India

There is so much to me, and yet i have such a longlong way to go. I am still discovering myself...everyday i will tell u something more about me

Friday, November 18, 2005

India emerging - This post has been written and posted by R - a friend & budding writer - Enjoy reading it


There’s something about “popular” Indians that defies description. They look like they mean what they say, and they say it like they mean it. But you discover that they don’t. You can’t really prove it, and even if you could, who would care?

India is assimilating the trendiest icons of the West. The icons are borrowed, and it shows. Here in the West, icons emerged from the core of the people, their lives, their hopes and their despairs. India has yet to trust her own hopes and despairs. When she does, she will thrust her icons onto billboards and onto the bodies of her people. When will this happen? I do not know.

Right now, money’s flowing in from the West, and being Western is the name of the game. So you’ve got office workers dressed in club clothes, wearing shades in dark restaurants, deliberately ignoring anyone whose jeans are not flared.

The very young kids seem more real. Either because they are too young to be cool, or because they are too real. I hope they remain real.

India had generations that were slaves to the West, followed by generations that hated the West, followed by generations that are becoming the worst of the west. Now call-centered kids talk Texan, eat pizza and rake in the bucks. They are landing the juicy jobs, and they’ll be “the thing to be” for the un-call-centered folks who still speak in broken English and buy generic clothes from the local bazaar.

Fortunately, India’s trendsetters sit atop a mountain of everyday Indians, whose lives don’t make the MTV cut. I find myself drawn into their eyes, drawn into worlds that my words cannot touch. May they save their India for different tomorrow.

Even so, there’s hope in the air, and money to be made, and the nation is abuzz with expectations. It happened in Japan, and now the Japanese wear suits and skirts and sing Elvis songs in karaoke bars, and soon the Chinese will follow. Somewhere under the Benettons lurk ancient Asian souls, not trusting the past, half sure about the present, and coy about the future.

It’s not a bad way to be, if their newborns should arrive with visions yet unborn. Into Asia’s iconic void, they could sow the seeds of tomorrow, brought forth from worlds beyond our graves. Perhaps the plan is larger than I can fathom.

Perhaps the plan is to be lost, so that we can stumble into who we are. And we can find our way home.

7 Comments:

Blogger pine said...

your writing is beautiful.

1:34 AM, November 18, 2005  
Blogger anu said...

Dear R,

Thanks for visiting my blog and posting your precious writings on it. I think it is awesome, and you already have a comment for it.

Keep visiting and keep writing :)

Lots of love n hugs

1:52 AM, November 18, 2005  
Anonymous R said...

Pine, thanks. I looked at your blog and loved what I saw and read. Come to Manhattan and cook for us, please.

1:53 AM, November 18, 2005  
Anonymous R said...

Anu, you're most welcome. Your raw honesty drew me in, and now I may not find the exit door. But am I complaining?

Tight warm hug to you

1:55 AM, November 18, 2005  
Blogger anu said...

((((((((((R))))))))))))

back to you

2:00 AM, November 18, 2005  
Blogger NYC TAXI SHOTS said...

yo r good job

1:49 PM, November 18, 2005  
Anonymous R said...

Thanks, j. Love your pics. I live in Manhattan - 29th and Park - so your pics. hit home.

I'll soon be moving to India. I'll visit your web site from India, when I need my NY fix. Yeah, I'll miss Manhattan

12:14 AM, November 19, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home